Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:51:59 +0100

Horace Greeley wrote:

> As you so accurately point out, there are different techniques
> required/appropriate for different hammers/pianos.  For me, the only
> real question has to do with whether the subject piano - that is, the
> one with which I am immediately concerned - is sounding/working the
> best that _it_ possibly can...without regard to brand name, model or
> whose parts are in it.
>
> All this goes to a technician's technique, what is it's range and
> domain; and, what kind of command of that technique do they really
> have of?  All too often, these factors are what limits what can be
> done more than the perceived, or often even actual, condition of the
> instrument.

I could not aggree with these words more Horace.  Yet they state only
one side of the issue at hand. Namely what we /CAN  /accomplish,  what
we should be familiar with, what skills and tools we should have at our
disposal. In that sense I am one hundred percent behind you here.

The other side of the issue that is always raised as well is our own
personal preferences for handling any given job. Thats an entirely
different discussion and pains evidently need to be made to seperate the
two.  Mixing far from substantiated <<facts>> about what hammers do and
dont, can and cannnot accomplish, with what we "prefer" is not my idea
of holding P's and Q's seperate.

I for my part would like to think it would be possible to exchange such
views and thoughts without it being a problem, and indeed for the
absolute vast majority it is. Its really a fascinating subject matter to
begin with, and as I have said time and time again the resulting
diversity of musical ideas is a wonderfull thing indeed.

> Best.
>
> Horace

Cheers
RicB