lifting strings

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:56:56 +0200

Hello dear list.

I would like to improve my string lifting skills.
After a new stringing job and a decent first pass on action regulation, =
when the strings have been tuned about 6 times and have stretched out a =
little, I take my hook and lift all the strings once to ensure a good =
termination at agraffees (or capo).
Then, I take a little piece of straight aluminium, 1 mm thick and wide =
as three unissons, that I put on the strings at the place of striking =
line.  Plucking the strings tells me what string is higher than the =
others, as the piece of aluminium sits on them and mutes them.
Ok, nothing new up 'till now.
My problem is that I have a hard time to do an accurate job here.  The =
strings respond very well to the first hook pull, but after that, to =
refine the string height, I find that some strings still respond to hook =
pull, some others no way and stay at the same height.  I try then to =
lower the strings that are too high by knocking on them close to the =
agraffee with a caoutchouc hammer on a brass rod, but again, some will =
get down, some others no way.  I end up with a quite good but not =
perfect job, which saddens me much.

Any ideas about how to improve this technique ?
And yes, sarcasms welcome foreseen that they accompany a good idea =
(smile).

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.