measuring strings and looking for books

michael campi campimichael@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:29:42 +0000

hey everyone,
This is just a tidbit I picked up somewhere. When you are measuring strings
on a piano rather than trying to do it in the piano (this assumes you are
going to be restringing) I first lower the tension then I pull out my string
hook and wire cutters and take the first string of each unison and cut a
small piece off I stick these pieces in a chunk of foam that has a strip of
tape on it that is marked Treble and Bass and has divisions for each section
of the piano. With that you can then sit down at the bench or kitchen table
and meaure the wire at leisure and in comfort. I am also looking for a copy
of Piano Tone Building. This book has been out of print for a while and the
only copies I have been able to find have been at rare book dealers for
somewhere in the $200.00 range. I can pay up to $50.00 so if you have one
hanging around please contact me off list with the details.
Thanks
Michael