Evidence of overlacquered hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:51:57 -0700

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 1:00 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Evidence of overlacquered hammers

snip...

...Yet here, somehow  Renner/Ronsen Wurzens  and in general tensioned
hammers are equated with possessing  special characteristics that can
cause soundboard distortions...

That's not what I said.

...As for recommending a tech on what hammers to use... seems really
more a
twofold question. On the one hand you have what the technician is
already familiar with with regards to voicing techniques.  Not
neccessarilly the best idea to reccommend a tech use a set of hammers
said tech has no idea how to treat. On the other hand you have the more
general question relating to what hammers you yourself could
successfully  use on the same piano-- why you choose them and how you
treat them.  Two different sides of the same <<question>> really.

Using a hammer because of comfort level may not always be the best
criteria for selection.

All this said... I cant say I see any reason to subscribe to the idea
that tensioned hammers will cause a soundboard to distort when laquered
hammers wont...

That's not what I said.

A soundboard simply has to function as it is meant too
with in reasonable parameters... if its so screwed up that a hammer
needs to be so soft and light as to avoid driving it into some or
another form of distortion, then it seems to me the soundboard should be

fixed first.

Of course it should, but if it can't be or the customer doesn't want to,
then a lighter softer hammer may somewhat lessen the distortion or harsh
characteristics of a failed soundboard.

But then thats the great thing about dissagreement

Constructive disagreement, yes.  Pissing contests are a waste of time.