[Files] Re: micrometer source for pianotech (Modified byKentSwafford)

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:56:03 -0700

The point I was making that for an original scale plotting you don't need
dead nuts accuracy since these figures only give a general idea what the
original wire sizes were.  The wire used by the string winder I assume will
be measure by them.  They should use the wire size you call out which will
be calculated by the scale program.

My 5 pound rolls of wire are measured accurately before I put them in the
dispenser and are labeled as to size.

I always measure a new set of bass strings for diameters of the core and
outside diameters and length before I install them.  Even there I think plus
and minus 1 thousandths is okay.  I wouldn't reject them unless they were
obviously.

I basically think a caliper used correctly is so much faster than a
micrometer, I am willing to accept a small error.  There are plenty of
larger errors to deal with that we have little control over.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.