[Files] Re: micrometer source for pianotech (Modified by KentSwafford)

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:56:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Carl,

I am not so sure that one or two thousands of an inch
is sufficient accuracy.  The difference between 13ga.
and 14ga. wire is 2 thousands.  That would be the top
9 notes on a typical grand.  I have also noticed how
difficult it is to get a clean tone out of mismatched
unisons, and that's with wires that are 0.001"
different (1/2ga.)

Vladan

I think a caliper is plenty accurate for measuring
wire.  After all we are mainly checking an original
scale and one or two thousands make little
difference on the graph.  We really just want to see
the general shape of the tension/ inh curve....

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.