[Files] Re: micrometer source for pianotech (Modified by KentSwafford)

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:35:11 -0700

All this chatter about micrometers makes me want to say I believe in the
Murphy law about precision.

"Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe."  Works for
me.

I have about three micrometers.  Seldom use them.  One is a wall thickness
that works well for strings.  It is difficult to measure scales period.

I've long used a dial caliper for it.  Caught hell from jumpin' Joe Garrett
of the tool police for being too cheap to buy a micrometer.

I think a caliper is plenty accurate for measuring wire.  After all we are
mainly checking an original scale and one or two thousands make little
difference on the graph.  We really just want to see the general shape of
the tension/ inh curve.  Pscale then give an accurate dimension for the new
strings which is the important thing.

I won't use a digital caliper because my eyes are analog.  To measure a
round item accurately you need to rock the caliper to minimize the reading
to assure the jaws are flat on the surface.  You need to put a bit of
pressure on the jaws and watch the dial.  When the needle dips to minimum
you have an accurate measurement.  That is hard to do with a digital
readout.  I would wear an analog watch if digitals weren't so much cheaper.
I have to convert two forty five to a quarter to three in my head.  Oh Well.

Now here is a picture of a caliper before and after that I use for strings.
I found these calipers at Harbor Freight for $7.95
on sale.  I bought several.

You can see that I don't have to pull the string up with a hook to measure
and I can measure the wrap in place by rocking the caliper back and forth to
minimize the reading.

It took me an hour to grind the thing to shape.  It needs to be kept cool or
it might warp.  I found that the jaws were not quite flat against each other
and created about one thousands error so I had to pull strips of fine
wet-or-dry through to correct that.  This is a single use tool basically but
I tend to use it a lot if it's laying around and it works fine for most
uses.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.