[Files] Re: micrometer source for pianotech (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:38:17 -0500

> The calipers don't work well on the wound strings unless you can get
> it past the knife edge tip, otherwise they slip between the windings.
>
> I find that the accuracy is the same as the anvil type, unless my eyes
> are playing tricks. [I'll double check after the strings are out]  I
> have the plain style, not dial or digital.

Calipers work better if you lay them down on the wrapped string some,
to span the gaps. Also, squeezing the jaws together on the wire close
to the point of contact, rather than using the thumb wheel eliminates
the spring of the jaws, keeps everything square and helps accuracy.
That's measuring pretty much anything with calipers. It depends on how
repeatably accurate you need to be.

Or you can make a snap gage out of a cheap dial indicator that works
nicely. Someone, I don't remember who, used to sell something like
this. Again, laying it down and gently squeezing the jaws onto the wire
or wrap gives best results.

Whatever you use, measuring wrapped strings, make sure you're far
enough out on the wrap to be past the core swage. Yea, I know, DUH,
but...

[Photo at:]

http://tinyurl.com/5jgy3

[Direct ptg.org URL:]