lacquering technique, was Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:09:57 +0100

Hi Micheal

I subscribe to Franz Mohrs line of thinking here. He adds a drop or two
to the striking point. only.  Its the minimum intrusive route, easily
sanded away, easily needled at need afterwards. Course this is if you
are dealing with reasonably tensioned hammers to begin with.  If you
have a set of mushballs in front of you, then you need to get more into
it.  In the end tho, you will want to wind up with a situation  where
most of the felt on each layer is pretty much evenly lacquered if you
are going to avoid the uneven wear syndrom Conrad pictured.  If you have
to soak... heaven forbid... :)... then run some straight thinner in just
after applying each coat so as to drive the hardning agent into the
deeper layers.  You are looking to simulate that increasing hardness
with depth aspect that is so nicely effected by hammers that are
tensioned appropriately to begin with.  That may seem to conflict with
the drop or two on top I started with above.....but remember that is for
hammers that are already under sufficient tension and just need a little
zing--- usually confined to a few hammers on top.

Dats how I sees it anyways... :)

Cheers
RicB