Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:47:43 +0100

I think we are bound to dissagree on this one David. We operate with a
different picture of the (hammer) universe to begin with.  Guys like
Andre, Bernhard, and I have long since come to the conclusion that where
it is appropriate to harden to begin with reflects hammer felt that is
inappropriate to use. One is forced ofte times to resort to lacq in the
highest treble and sometimes in the bottom 3-5 notes.... but otherwise
one can avoid laquer by the choice of hammers.  Reasonings behind such
choices have been discussed many times and probably will be again :)

That said.. I will be the first to admit that those who have mastered
the <<art>> of mushy hammers being laquered to tone accomplish something
entirely different then the inexperienced tech with his bottles of
keytops and acetone.

My preferences for the needled hammer remain, however very firm and are
the result of many many years of experimenting with voicing techniques.

Cheers
RicB