micrometer source

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

Cy, Mark,

I have tried both micrometers and here are some
observations:

Either micrometer will work on plain wires, the disc
type is more convenient.

The tough spots are on the tenor wound strings and the
bass strings.  One really important parameter is the
core diameter on wound strings, and that portion is
exposed only at the ends.  The problem is with the
strings that are close to the plate struts.  On the
disc micrometer, the bottom part (anvil) is very
massive, so there is little chance of getting in with
the discs.  The "multi anvil" micrometer has a
skinnier anvil, so you have more room to get near the
struts.  On plain strings, it's easier to pull the
action and measure from underneath.

I have the $45 Chinese micrometer (link in a previous
post) and it's very accurate.  If you really love
expensive tools, the Mitutoyo is nicer, and I think
the fat part of the anvil is a little further away
from the measuring area.  For me it really wasn't
worth the extra money.

As a side note, I discovered that my own piano was
factory strung with the wrong wire in at least four
places, which explains why I couldn't tune those notes
well.  I have two notes with mixed wire sizes!

Vladan

===========================

>I'm not as sure about the multi-anvil kind, from
looking at the
>pictures.  It seems that only one side of the anvil
can be replaced, while
>the other end is a flat-end rod.  Wouldn't you then
have to force the
>strings apart to work the anvil end underneath?

Cy,

The disk type looks like it would work too.

I was thinking more along the lines of the tip of the
anvil going in at 45 degrees from above, not trying to

get all the way underneath.

I.e., as in the original picture I referenced
(http://www.pianostrings.com/howtoorder2.html)
but with the micrometer rotated about 45 degrees
counterclockwise.

Maybe someone has
tried it????

-Mark