Octave Tuning

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:02:16

Hi Matthew,

It is more likely you will wish to have A3 to A4 slightly larger than a
4:2. It would be better to use F3 to A3 then F3 to A4 and listen to the
resulting beat at A5. Ghosting by holding down A3 and A4 (silently) then
playing A5 FF staccato would give you a "zero beat" result for a perfect
4:2. Better to ghost F3 A3 (with A5) then ghost F3 A4 (with A5). That way
you will have an audible beat (rather than zero beating) and will know
which way to move A3 depending on the beat speed. If F3 A3 is faster than
F3 A4 then A3 to A4 is larger than 4:2. If F3 A3 is slower than F3 A4 then
A3 to A4 is smaller than 4:2.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

At 06:43 PM 28/09/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Okay, before I go all out practicing this technique, I want to make sure I
>understand it.

>When I tune the temperament octave (A3-A4), it needs to be a 4:2 octave,
correct?
>And one way to test this octave is to play the A two octaves above the
lower note
>as the test key, to hear the partials in the octave, am I right?  If the
octave
>you are testing has no beat whatsoever, you have a perfect temperament
octave, is
>this true?

>Thanks!
>Matthew