Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:34:05 -0500

...and why they can sound so nasty.

Folks,

Nothing earth-shattering about this, but...
I finally have visual confirmation of something my thumb has told me for years.

I was checking hammer spacing before doing filing, voicing, etc. on an old
Baldwin R using the chalk method. (rub soft chalk on strikepoint of plain
wire strings, then play those notes) I happened to have my digital camera
handy, so...

The hardening of the shoulders apparently extends almost to the
strikepoint.  The strike point has worn down, but the shoulders did
not.  The resulting saddleback/swayback profile produced two strikepoints.

Fun filing. Fun voicing.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: MVC-007S.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 42893 bytes
Desc: not available

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-A rose by any other name would still attract aphids.