Copper wire? was Beginner tool Arsonal

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:08:19 -0500

"...electrical copper wire for threading strings on."
=20
Whatchadoin with this stuff, exactly, Joe? I'm a large safety pin man,
myself. (Another VITAL "tool")
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Garrett [mailto:joegarrett@earthlink.net]=20
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 8:45 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Beginner tool Arsonal

I guess I'd like to give ya my two bits worth. To start: KITS!
i.e. a Kit for each major item: 1. Tuning kit =3D only those tools =
necessary
for tuning, inspection, minor repairs, (NO Parts in this kit...EVER!), =
minor
voicing & minor regulation.  2. Voicing kit=3D all items necessary to do =
major
voicing.  3. Major Repair/Regulation Kit =3D every tool know to the =
world,
that will allow you to do anything!<G> This kit, I call my Gorilla kit, =
as
it weighs in at 80+ lbs and getting heavier every so often.  4. Felt Kit =
=3D a
small sampling of every type of felt in every piano known to you. Also,
keybed kits, (see Apsco catalogue), Bridle straps, etc. 5. Woodworking =
kit =3D
a fairly large kit with clamps, saws, chisels, wood, veneer, wood
glue(s)..assortments therein. 6. Stringing kit =3D contains all tools
necessary to do Minor/Major String Replacement. Does not have any wire =
in
it, except electrical copper wire for threading strings on. 7. Bass =
String
kit =3D i.e. ALL of the universals available from Schaff  8. Plain Wire =
Kit =3D
Includes All sizes of plain wire for pianos, harpsichords, etc., also =
brass
spring wire, for duplicating something weird.  9. Hardware Kit =3D =
Includes
all kinds of screws, nails, brads, lid pins, trap springs, trap =
hardware,
yada yada. (I actually have three 'kits' for all of the weird stuff that =
we
need out in the field!=20
10. Acrylikey Kit =3D everything needed to do in the field Ivory
repair/replacement. (If it's more than one or two, I prefer to do it in =
the
shop. The darned stuff really stinks!)
I have a few other various kits that only go on "special" service call
thingees.=20
So, there ya have the gist of the ideer, anyho!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I