measuring key weight ratio

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:11:54 -0700

Go to this site and click on "See-Saw Science", you'll have an
illustration.  I'm not sure the drug dealer scale is the best tool for
this.

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/touchweight.htm

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 4:48 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: measuring key weight ratio

Greetings,

            I saw the mini anti-drug dealer's scale.

            I dont understand how you can take a little scale like that
and measure the weight of the action on the key capstan. Am I missing
something here?

          If one is suppose to put a 20g weight on the fromt of a key
and then a 10g weight at the capstan, how does a scale come into use?
And if you have a 10g weight on the capstan, where is the action? Out of
the piano?

           That thar' scale, wharr do ya put the little bugger? Under
the key's front?

Thanks,
Julie Gottchall,
Reading, PA