"Tune Holder"

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:56:41 -0500

Well, as What'serName told us in her very readable and enjoyable book,
"Notes From A Piano Tuner," she had a church customer that was tired of
paying for tunings so they had someone come and tune their piano real
carefully--then superglued all the tuning pins so the tuning would be
permanent!
=20
She was called to replace a broken string and they asked her to please
replace the string without turning the tuning pin. Good trick. She said =
she
replaced the string in the customary fashion and then beat feet outa =
there
in a hurry. This was some years ago.
=20
The fun irony of it all, now, is that most of us are regularly =
supergluing
pinblocks! Go figure ...
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Garrett [mailto:joegarrett@earthlink.net]=20
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 11:50 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: "Tune Holder"

As the great Johnny Carson said, (as the know-all, see-all Swami) : I =
hold
in my hand the answer to the loose tuning pin problem! (Yeah, right! =
:-()
Am I the only one singled out for this idiocy? Or, did the rest of youse
guys/gals receive one, as well?=20
For those less fortunate (?), it's a little plastic thingee w/a rotating
thingee that ratchets. The rotating thingee has a square hole in it, =
that a
tuning pin would obviously fit into.
The text of the accompanying letter is as follows:
"Hello,"
"It is called a Tune Holder."
"It is an aid to piano tuning. With it, there will bew no more replacing
tuning pin blocks that are rimmed and will not hold the tuning pins from
turning! Also, there will be no more replacing grooved pressure bars!"
"I offer this one to you as a gift. Please accept this gift as an
introduction to the Tune Holder."
"I hope you gave, (should be have), kept a list of all those beaurtiful =
olde
pianos that people have that are out of tune, but would cost too much to
tune up, because with the Tune Holder they will play again at a very low
cost. They can be easily tuned in their own homes."
"Easy to install, just loose the bad string, make sure to place the Tune
Holder on the pin so it will turn freely in the clockwise direction and
slowly tune it. If you over tune, just use a screwdrive to remove the =
Tune
Holder, and start over."
"For more information call (760) 218-0077"
"Yours,
Mason Nile"
=20
Obviously, an ill-informed, mechanically talented, entrepneur, looking =
make a gazillion bucks off us stupid pianer tooners!<G> I'm sure this
individual is serious, as the sample "Tune Holder" is well made, =
(injection
mould, plastic, process). There are at least three, and I suspect four =
parts
to these little gems, so a great deal of effort was put into them, IMO.
However, I doubt Mr. Nile has a clue about how a piano is tuned, or for =
that
matter, the basic structure of a pianer!<G>
Just curious if anyone else was so very fortunate to receive this =
marvelous
"sample"?
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.