"Tune Holder"

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:31:36 -0500

I, too,received this gift on Saturday.  Now trying to figure out what to =
do with it.  The fellow seems well meaning but mentally challenged.  At =
least he is trying.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 11:50 AM
  Subject: "Tune Holder"

  As the great Johnny Carson said, (as the know-all, see-all Swami) : I =
hold in my hand the answer to the loose tuning pin problem! (Yeah, =
right! :-()
  Am I the only one singled out for this idiocy? Or, did the rest of =
youse guys/gals receive one, as well?=20
  For those less fortunate (?), it's a little plastic thingee w/a =
rotating thingee that ratchets. The rotating thingee has a square hole =
in it, that a tuning pin would obviously fit into.
  The text of the accompanying letter is as follows:
  "Hello,"
  "It is called a Tune Holder."
  "It is an aid to piano tuning. With it, there will bew no more =
replacing tuning pin blocks that are rimmed and will not hold the tuning =
pins from turning! Also, there will be no more replacing grooved =
pressure bars!"
  "I offer this one to you as a gift. Please accept this gift as an =
introduction to the Tune Holder."
  "I hope you gave, (should be have), kept a list of all those =
beaurtiful olde pianos that people have that are out of tune, but would =
cost too much to tune up, because with the Tune Holder they will play =
again at a very low cost. They can be easily tuned in their own homes."
  "Easy to install, just loose the bad string, make sure to place the =
Tune Holder on the pin so it will turn freely in the clockwise direction =
and slowly tune it. If you over tune, just use a screwdrive to remove =
the Tune Holder, and start over."
  "For more information call (760) 218-0077"
  "Yours,
  Mason Nile"

  Obviously, an ill-informed, mechanically talented, entrepneur, looking =
to make a gazillion bucks off us stupid pianer tooners!<G> I'm sure this =
individual is serious, as the sample "Tune Holder" is well made, =
(injection mould, plastic, process). There are at least three, and I =
suspect four parts to these little gems, so a great deal of effort was =
put into them, IMO. However, I doubt Mr. Nile has a clue about how a =
piano is tuned, or for that matter, the basic structure of a pianer!<G>
  Just curious if anyone else was so very fortunate to receive this =
marvelous "sample"?
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police