Fandrich Vertical Action

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:18:53 -0700 (PDT)

I've been following the development of this action and Darrel Fandrich continues to refine the design. It really is an interesting option for someone who would like a grand piano but is concerned about adequate floor space.

Charlie Albright, (http://tinyurl.com/5hred)  recently chosen top young pianist by the Washington State Music Teacher's Association, performed a recital in our home on a Klima upright with the Fandrich Vertical Action. We opened up the piano (which makes a huge diference for uprights!) and it worked very well as a performance instrument. The audience loved to see the action functioning while he performed. Afterwards Charlie exclaimed "You can't compare this upright piano to other uprights!"

“…the player of a Fandrich action has an exceptional amount of control over dynamics—including the ability to play softly (unusual for a vertical piano)—and the rapidity and evenness of touch of a good grand piano…on an upright.”-Larry Fine

Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:
Avery said: "And there's a limit there because no vertical in the world, no matter how
good it is (as far as I know) can begin to compare to a good grand in
equally good condition! How can one develop control of repetition if
there's no repetition adjustment? I could go on and on, but I won't. If one
agrees with Matthew, I'm sorry! It just isn't true. As I said, Bull Hockey!
:-)"

Avery,
Obviously, you've never played a Fandrich & Sons Piano, (or a Fandrich, for that matter). Every bit as good as a grand, in the repetition department. And, IMO far less susceptible to going out of regulation, then a grand.
As for the Bull Hockey, let's quit with the touchy-feely, politically correct stuff and call it what you really meant: Bull Shit!<G>
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter