fallboard pivot

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:52:15 -0400

Any chance that it comes out with cheekblocks attached (once the =
cheekblocks are unscrewed)?  I'm sure you've unscrewed everything within =
six feet of it...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 3:46 PM
  Subject: Re: fallboard pivot

  In a message dated 9/25/04 1:23:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
draine@comcast.net writes:=20

    While doing a service call (tuning/appraisal), I was foiled in my =
first=20
    attempt at removing the fallboard from a a 71 yr. old Marshall &=20
    Wendell 4' 8" grand. The fallboard has brass slotted pieces which =
seat=20
    onto the pivots which are fastened into the inside of the case. =
While=20
    one end slid out gracefully, the other wouldn't give. I believe =
(based=20
    on past experience with similar M&W's) the screws which seat the =
pivot=20
    are loose, and the pivot point wobbles around as I try to remove the =

    fallboard, thus foiling my attempts.=20
    Aside from yanking it out by brute force (thereby either trashing =
the=20
    fallboard, or sending me flying backward onto the floor at the very=20
    least), are there any helpful hints from thew assembled wisdom?=20
    I was thinking perhaps if I had an extra pair of hands I could use a =

    very thin screwdriver or blade to stabilize the pin, and *then* lift =

    the fallboard out. Anyone run into this problem aside from me?=20

  Hi Patrick,=20

  I wish I could help.  I ran into the same problem on a piano once, and =
if memory serves, it was indeed a Marshall and Wendell.  I thought maybe =
there was a retracting, spring-loaded pin that a thin blade could push =
back into the fallboard, thus releasing the fall board, but that didn't =
work.  I never did get it to open.=20

  Let us know if you can figure out a way to get it off.=20

  Thanks,=20

  Dave Stahl