fallboard pivot

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:46:02 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/04 1:23:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
draine@comcast.net writes:

> While doing a service call (tuning/appraisal), I was foiled in my first
> attempt at removing the fallboard from a a 71 yr. old Marshall &
> Wendell 4' 8" grand. The fallboard has brass slotted pieces which seat
> onto the pivots which are fastened into the inside of the case. While
> one end slid out gracefully, the other wouldn't give. I believe (based
> on past experience with similar M&W's) the screws which seat the pivot
> are loose, and the pivot point wobbles around as I try to remove the
> fallboard, thus foiling my attempts.
> Aside from yanking it out by brute force (thereby either trashing the
> fallboard, or sending me flying backward onto the floor at the very
> least), are there any helpful hints from thew assembled wisdom?
> I was thinking perhaps if I had an extra pair of hands I could use a
> very thin screwdriver or blade to stabilize the pin, and *then* lift
> the fallboard out. Anyone run into this problem aside from me?

Hi Patrick,

I wish I could help.  I ran into the same problem on a piano once, and if
memory serves, it was indeed a Marshall and Wendell.  I thought maybe there was a
retracting, spring-loaded pin that a thin blade could push back into the
fallboard, thus releasing the fall board, but that didn't work.  I never did get
it to open.

Let us know if you can figure out a way to get it off.

Thanks,

Dave Stahl