Low damper lever lift ratio question

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:05:53 -0400 (EDT)

   I just rebuilt an old Knabe, 1920s, for a client.
It had a strike ratio of 6.5...thus light hammers.
The damper lever pinning is far back enough that they
lift little relative to the key stroke.

   If I adjust the lever lift is at one third blow
distance, the tip of the wedge bicord dampers do not
quite clear the string. The hammer approaches the
within 2 mm and touches them interfering with ppp
playing. I must adjust the dampers to lift immediately
with the keystroke for them to clear.

   I presume I shall end up trimming the tips of the
bicord with a razor blade, but thought I would post
this here, as it is something I have not run across
before. Any additional ideas welcome.

   .....And yes the damper lift felt is good and firm.
   It truly is a very low damper lever ratio.
   ....is that a new term...... it is to me.

                                Cheers
                                Dave Renaud