adequate piano

Matthew Todd pianotech88@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:09:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Don,

Sounds like you are going from one extreme to the other here.  Of course it will be hard to practice on a piano that will never stay in tune, and have 8 to 10 non functional keys, even missing strings, can you believe that?  You are comparing that to "preferably a grand" that is well maintained and has wonderful response.  If all a student did was practice such a piano rather than, let's say, an older upright that does stay in tune (at through the two hour practice session), all the keys do work (although the tone may be horrible) and has no missing strings, and maybe the responsive action is very slow...that piano is more sufficient for a pupil to practice on (again, refer to my previous e-mail).  It is actually even better for a student to practice his pieces on a variety of piano's, but if all he has is the old upright mentioned above...he can make great use of it and take even better advantage of it, than if he had that grand.

Well, thanks for the offer of piano pedagogy lessons, but I've already had them, and I doubt you can teach it...well maybe, but let me know if you do, and we'll talk prices.

I was serious about piano lessons though.

Matthew

Don <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca> wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Then you would suggest a "medium level" student should get a short keyboard
spinet action piano, that is will not stay "in tune" and has 8 or 10 keys
non functional? I repeat. Hogwash.

If the student can get access to a wonderful responsive well maintained
beautiful sounding instrument (preferably a grand) they will progress
faster than with the type of piano I mention above. They will also do
better on a *great* piano than on a well functioning *bad* piano.

Want some pedagogy lessons Matthew?

At 08:32 PM 23/09/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey Don,Sorry you feel that way...but it's T-R-U-E...True. Remember I
said "when
>the adult progresses to a certain level". That also assumes that they
know how to
>practice correctly, and smart! Would you like piano lessons?

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.
REGINA, SK