Octave Tuning

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 06:34:52 -0500

Ric wrote: A great aural test is to play the major 6th below the lowest note
of the 12th and compare that with that same 6th against the upper note.  Of
course the beat rates should be the same... but its one of the easiest tests
to hear clearly and quickly.

Ric,

For clarity, in your example of D3-A4 as the 12th, are you saying compare
the F2-D3 beat ratio against F2-A4, and they should be the same?

Thanks,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 3:03 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Octave Tuning

Hi John.

Yes, tune the entire tenor and treble outside of my temperment area to P
12ths.  I start with D3 - A4 as a P 12th, fit A3 appropriately inbetween
and temper that whole section with those three as anchors. From then,
D#3-A#4 and upwards everything is tuned to perfect 12ths.  Kinda
eliminates the need for any generated tuning curve in the first place as
you can direct reference the 3rd partial of the lower note all the way
and insure an exactomundo match when tuning the fundemental of the 12th
above.

Actually... this way of tuning is not all that new.  I know of at least
3 who have offered some information about this from 15 - 20 years ago,
and it wouldnt suprise me at all to discover much earlier musings on the
subject matter. The most thorough mathamatical treatise on the subject I
am aware of is from Bernhard Stopper from around 15 years back.

Interestingly... most of these and indeed my own <<discovery>> of the
P12ths tuning seem to have come about rather independent of one
another.  Probably because of the overall dominance of the octave
tuneing perspective, and because of the fact that when first attempted
the P 12ths tuning is suprisingly... for not to say amazingly...
effective and easy to accomplish.

Cheers
RicB