Octave Tuning

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:40:24 -0600

Matthew,
They sell a partial finder which is like a piece of cardboard with the
partials laid out where you would hear them on the keyboard.  I'm sleepy so
I can't remember who right now.  Your first partial is the primary, the
second is the octave, the third is the octave and a fifth(I think, yeah my
eyelids are drooping too) and the fourth is the double octave.
So, for example, play C3, then play C5.  The ringing in C3 that corresponds
to the pitch of C5 would be your fourth partial.  The second partial of C4
would also correspond to C5.  When tuning a 4:2 (such as for the aural PTG
test) you would make those to partials syncronous.

The problem starting aural tuners (me particularly) have is distinguishing
the partials.  If your hearing is good you will be hearing all kinds of
stuff buzzing.  Sometimes using plain old earplugs helps a lot.  You get to
hear the lower partials more easily while all that high irrelevant (for
now) stuff is shut out.

Good luck,
Andrew