Octave Tuning

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:06:23 +0100

Not with the stupid bit...grin..

couple of easy ways of checking this.  Ghosting... hold both notes of
the octave down (dont play... just hold them down) then play sharply the
next octave up.  That notes fundemental is coincident with the 4:2 pair
for the two notes you are holding down.  Example... hold C3 and C4 and
bang C5.

Then there is the usual third/tenth beat rate test.   Example... play C3
and Ab2 and compare the 5:4 beat rate with the 5:2 generated when you
play C4 and Ab2.

Get the book "On Pitch" by Rick Baldersin... and pugg your tuning
theory.  Tuning life becomes much more interesting and easy when you
have a good grasp of tuning theory basics. Keep at it !

Cheers
RicB