Customer callbacks / reminders

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:29:23 +0000

Hi all-

I write a monthly column (Ron's ramblings) for our chapter newsletter in
Chicago.  Here is one approach to phone reminders:

Ron Koval

Ron's Ramblings

The telephone - friend or foe?

	I'll admit to having a love/hate relationship with the phone.  I hate
calling people, yet love the business it brings.  It's not all business
related; I just don't like to talk on the phone.  But, since it IS easier to
take care of an existing client's piano than to always work at pitch
adjusting the pianos of new clients, I decided early on in my career to
develop the skills to hold on to as many clients as possible.  Also, having
a method to reach clients gives me more control over how much business I
have, as well as where I'll be driving in any given week.  The following may
not help you this year, but it's an easy way to increase repeat business for
next year.

	Most tuners don't want to be salespeople.  They are uncomfortable with the
idea of phoning clients to make reminder calls. It feels like an intrusion,
or being pushy.  Yet, when there is a message on your machine that someone
wants their piano tuned, do you feel intrusive, or that you are being pushy
by returning their call?  No?! Why?  Because you have the client's
permission to call to schedule an appointment.  You are helping them get
what they want.  My system works on that same principle, mainly that I will
call because I have the client's permission.

	At a first tuning appointment, I am usually asked how often they should
have the piano tuned. (bring it up if they don't)  This is the opportunity
to get their permission for a call at a later date.  Use your judgement to
suggest a time (and here's the kicker) and then say  "what I can do, if you
prefer, is to add your name to my reminder call list."  Most people jump at
this added service.  For existing clients, you could just tell them that you
are doing something new, and if they want, you could put their name on your
calendar to call at the appropriate time for the next service.

	So, now it's time to make that call, and you're nervous...  Remember,
you've already got their permission, they WANT YOU to call THEM, to keep
their piano in tune.  It's your job to make it easy for both of you.  Give
them choices, and if they don't want a tuning, get permission to add their
name to another month, or ask if they want to be removed from your call
list.  Keep the call short, and to the point, otherwise you will be spending
too much time on the phone.

A sample one-sided conversation follows.

**smile** (they can sense your fear)

"Hi, this is Franz Mohr, your piano technician.  Your name came up on my
list of people to schedule tunings with this month.  Would you prefer a day,
or evening appointment?"  (before lunch, after lunch - night or weekend...
give them two choices that work for you)  "Day? Ok, let me check my
calendar, I see that I could come out there either Friday at 11, or next
Wednesday at 3." (again, with the choices.)  "Great!, that's Friday, the
15th, at 11:00 am.  And you are still at 123 Main street?  I'll see you
then."

Quick, easy, to the point.

What if they say they can't do it now?  Answer "Oh, that's fine, what month
would you like me to call you then?" (Actually the better business method
would be to give them two choices here... but just stay silent until they
answer.)  "Ok!, I'll talk to you then."  Or, if they can't come up with a
time, then you can say  "Would you rather I just wait for you to call me?"
Then you know to take them out of your active file, and expect a call
sometime in the future, when you can pitch-raise their piano all over again!

Don't let your clients slip away, and  your business WILL grow...