epoxy fun

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:40:57 -0400

Hi John,

There's a somewhat fine line, short of which it takes forever for the =
stuff to cure, and beyond which the stuff goes thermonuclear.  When I'm =
using the stuff, I mix it in a small plastic cup (6 oz, I'd guess).  If =
the ambient temperature is a bit cooler, perhaps at or below 70F, I can =
mix up two or even three pumps without the mixture quickly "flashing."  =
However, for this to work, the cup needs ventillation.  Do NOT cover the =
cup, or it will flash quite rapidly.  (Covering it doesn't do anything =
useful anyway.)  If I'm working at a moderate to higher ambient =
temperature, only one or two pumps can be used.  If you're working with =
the stuff, and it's getting warm in the cup, it won't be long before it =
hardens.  To slow the process, cool the mixture.  I do this by spreading =
the mixture over the walls of the cup with my spatula.  With more =
surface area, the mixture will lose heat faster.  Finally, I *think* I'm =
correct that fillers hasten the cure, I suspect because they help to =
insulate the mixture.

If you want a longer pot life, put a fan by the cup.  If you want the =
ultimate pot life, put the cup in some cool water (not cold enough to =
create condensation on the inside of the cup).  Cool epoxy will take =
forever and a day to cure.  I know this from having done hull repair on =
a boat during cold weather.  :-(  If your workpiece is warm, it will =
speed the curing once the epoxy is applied.  To speed curing further =
once applied, cover it to protect it from drafts.  Be careful if you =
have too much of it in too well insulated a space, though.  I'm pretty =
sure the stuff could catch something on fire under extreme conditions.  =
If in doubt, use the 209 hardener, as Terry suggested.

Peace,
Sarah
  ----- Original Message -----=20