jack rest cushion

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:39:58 -0700

Ed Foote RPT wrote:

>... the jack will certainly be noisy without
>a very soft cushion to land on.

I have in my care an Estonia concert grand about 6 years old.  It has a
Renner action.  The jacks make quite a slapping sound when they hit
their rest cushions.  The institution has not voiced any complaint yet,
but it sure bothers me when I service it.  Looking at the cushions, they
seem fine - neither too thin nor  what I would call too firm.  Is this a
common condition?   Will replacing the felt  punchings make a real
difference?

Jurgen Goering