1879 Steinway A (jacks)

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:45:12 +0100

A440A@aol.com wrote:

>Greetings,
>      Ok,  a pet peeve just got its tail stepped on....  When we discuss the
>position of the jack, as well as other things,  it is often not clear what
>"back" means.  To some techs, that means bringing it "back" towards the pianist,
>to others, it means moving it farther away.  Could we use the term "proximal"
>to mean the former and "distal" to indicate the latter?

Grin... you sound like my dentist.

>    Secondly,  I am unsure what " that the jack and letoff button are
>actuated at  the same time" is referring to.  Perhaps the intention was to refer to the
>drop screw?  (I'm guessing, here)

You guessed  right... sorry bout the mistype.

>         In regards to the jack's position, I would posit that the most
>important thing is that it be no further under the knuckle than is required for
>dependable actuation.

Gotta dissagree. Too far out and the key will miss and you loose power.
Letoff and drop out of sink causes bigger problems as well.  Too far in
basically just slows things down a bit... one way or another.  The least
evil of the three IMO.

>     In these 'non-adjustable' actions, I don't use felt to shim the jack to
>position,  I use a thin shim of veneer, which I install on the distal side of
>the felt block. This gives a more stable regulation that putting a thin piece
>of new felt in, (which will compress fairly quickly).

Too each their own. I've use felt successfully for many years. You
figure on a little compression, and you dont have to remove the entire
felt, shim and reglue with all the settling in thats going to require.
We are talking about a mm or 2 here in nearly every instance I've ever
run into.   The only real concern IMO is the adhesive used.  But then
just a very little dab'll do ya :)

Cheers
RicB