1879 Steinway A (jacks)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:52:18 EDT

 Richard writes:

<<  Its a bit more convenient with a jack regulating button... but I'll get

it up and running fine enough. The most important issue is that the jack

is back far enough, and that the jack and letoff button are actuated at

the same time. A bit too deep jack can affect this second, and a few

other things... but I can always felt shim the cushion if I need to.  >>

Greetings,
      Ok,  a pet peeve just got its tail stepped on....  When we discuss the
position of the jack, as well as other things,  it is often not clear what
"back" means.  To some techs, that means bringing it "back" towards the pianist,
to others, it means moving it farther away.  Could we use the term "proximal"
to mean the former and "distal" to indicate the latter?
    Secondly,  I am unsure what " that the jack and letoff button are
actuated at

the same time" is referring to.  Perhaps the intention was to refer to the
drop screw?  (I'm guessing, here)

         In regards to the jack's position, I would posit that the most
important thing is that it be no further under the knuckle than is required for
dependable actuation.
     In these 'non-adjustable' actions, I don't use felt to shim the jack to
position,  I use a thin shim of veneer, which I install on the distal side of
the felt block. This gives a more stable regulation that putting a thin piece
of new felt in, (which will compress fairly quickly).  It is very simple to
pop the glue joint holding the original felt to the mortise and put a shim in
with spot of glue on both sides.  The spring provide ample clamping to hold it
in place.
      Using a veneer shim also keeps any glue line well away from the contact
surface, which is important, since the jack will certainly be noisey without
a very soft cushion to land on.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT