STIFFER ACTION

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:17:46 -0400

At 7:41 AM -0500 9/21/04, Brian Doepke wrote:
>I have a customer who claims that her touchweight is too light and is
>asking if there is a way to change the feel of the piano so the keys
>"don't go down as easy".  ( she did not use the word "touchweight", she
>does not know what that is)

If what she's looking for is frictional force, try turning the front
rail pins the required amount. For gravitational force, try David
love's suggestion or try clipping metal binder clips onto the shanks.
For inertial force, try adding amounts of lead on both sides of the
key, such that the DW (or better yet, the BW) doesn't change. In any
case, save yourself some trouble by setting up a sample half octave
of each sort of correction so the your pianist can find what she's
looking for. (If you have to be reminded to mention whether this is a
grand or vertical, try asking why it makes a difference.)