1879 Steinway A

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:11:14 +0100

Hmmm...

My method was a bit more ad-hoc then what you suggest below... but next
time around I certainly will strive for more accuracy.  That said, what
I did was carefully sand away the needed bit with a thin vertical belt
sander... eyeballed all the way.  Admitedly a bit less then perfect
accuracy. Still the main problem seemed to be that it was difficult to
get the depth right... ie maintaining the proper centerpin height.

I had to shim a bit more then usual for such jobs... but all center pins
are dead on line... perhaps better then otherwise really... I looked at
a 12 year old C today.... not allllllll that straight a line.

But to the ratio question you raise.... since the actual distance from
the centerpin to the knuckle and hammer doesnt change... the hammer
ratio itself stays the same.  We are talking then only about whatever
affect a say 1 mm variance in centerpin placement would have.  That gets
into the distance to the whippen center... which is very rougly at a 40
degree angle from any horizontal variance in the hammer shank center...
so we are talking very slight variations...

Still... I havent thought about this particular issue before... only in
terms of more generally discussed spread issues.   I'll have to take
some extra notice to what happens when I move things around a bit.

Thanks for the post Ron

RicB