1879 Steinway A

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:56:24 +1000

At 10:59 PM +0100 19/9/04, Richard Brekne wrote:

>As it turned out, I got to thinking and looking and pondering and
>ended up just filing the front (hammer end) of  flange profile back
>enough so that I could get the centerpins lined up with the old
>center pin line. This was a bit time consuming, but it got done in
>about 3 hours. It required a bit extra in terms of shank traveling
>and making sure the centerpin heights were even... but not so much
>extra in the end.

The idea is fine, but reducing flange length accurately by hand is a
most difficult thing to achieve. Any variation in length will
translate directly to variations in the hammer/key ratio.

If you can manage it, a slitting saw and makeshift jig is a better
method for accurately changing action part dimensions.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers