Customer ethics--no more extras!

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:58:25 -0700

One problem with dealer work I've run into (long ago), pianos=
 coming out of the warehouse and not the actual piano looked at. =
  Here is an un-prepped piano going to the customer's house.   I=
 don't know if this still happens?
David Ilvedson

From: J Patrick Draine <draine@comcast.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Customer ethics--no more extras!

On Sep 19, 2004, at 10:57 PM, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

Avery,

Uhhh...I don't give the tunings away, the dealer does.  I get=
 paid, but not enough to merit extra work.

I would suggest talking to the dealer about the fact that you=
 have been doing more work than he's ben paying for, and you=
 would like to get compensated for it by him. After all, these=
 are problems which probably existed when the piano was delivered=
 (excess friction in keys, excess lost motion, rubbing hammers),=
 not caused by "normal usage" by the customer. Does the dealer=
 want good word of mouth from pleased customers or not? Try to=
 convey this to him in a straightforward manner.
Some technicians develop very positive relationships with=
 dealers. Others don't. I got out of dealer work as soon as I=
 could. As for the occasions when I have done some "dealer=
 warranty work" -- well I've got a bounced check from said dealer=
 on my desk right now. Warranty work for manufacturers has, in my=
 experience, been a much more positive experience.
Patrick Draine