Customer ethics--no more extras!

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:31:55 -0500

I had tuned for "Six Flags Over America" here in Allenton, MO, just =
outside of St. Louis for 2 summers a number of years ago.  At the end of =
the 2nd season I tuned all 3 of their pianos at no cost and told them =
how I appreciated their  business.  I had been tuning these pianos every =
couple of weeks early on Sunday mornings.  After doing the work and =
giving them the short thank you letter I was never called back again.  =
Go figure.
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Artisan of Wood
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: D.L. Bullock=20
  To: PTG ; Piannaman@aol.com=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 8:42 PM
  Subject: RE: Customer ethics--no more extras!

  Why would any competent tuner GIVE away a tuning unless you just did a =
complete restoration?  I have tried giving extra work to customers many =
times in the last thirty years.  One out of 20 appreciates it and sends =
more work my way.  The other 19 just ignore my good work, forget me, and =
usually go somewhere else for their next tuning.  My customers who are =
major musicians always send me customers, so my work must not be too =
shabby.  Customers do not appreciate being given anything.  Sales of =
pianos is another thing, do anything to get the sale.  But normally in =
the service sector they don't appreciate free or cut rate work.  They =
will cut your throat every time you give them something free and then =
ask for more.  The world's worst about this are institutions and some =
friends.  Churches are especially bad about this.  They seem to respect =
you much more if you charge them a market price.  Some appreciate it =
more if your price is slightly higher than average.

  D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
  www.thepianoworld.com=20

  Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you =
may have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing =
EVERY disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit =
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.  =
Also www.glycoscience.org