1879 Steinway A

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:58:10 -0700

One thing to think about is that with the new shanks and old wippens the
jack will now not be at 90o to the shank at rest.  I don't really like
that configuration.  I'd either try and  talk them into new wippens and
make sure everything matches, or stay with the original dimensions and
go with a very light hammer, or compromise and use a 16 mm knuckle with
an only slightly heavier hammer than the original.  I try and not make
customers problems mine.  If they don't want to change the wippens there
will be a less-than-best compromise.  Explain the problem, inquire about
their long term goals for the piano, and do what makes sense.