REMEMBER YOUR ETHICS (was Environmental tuning mysteries: solved,hopefully)

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:35:49 -0500

I never really understood this "touch-up-tuning" concept.  I guess that =
if I were to limit myself to unisons, that would be one thing, but I =
find that no matter how close a piano is to being "in-tune," as soon as =
I correct one note, the others invariably follow.  So, even on a piano =
that is very close, I still have to go through all the motions that I =
would on an instrument that is somewhat further away.  Any thoughts from =
others?

William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ryan Sowers=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 6:00 PM
  Subject: REMEMBER YOUR ETHICS (was Environmental tuning mysteries: =
solved,hopefully)

  List,

  Piannaman@aol.com wrote: the bloody thing was so close to being in =
tune I almost felt badly taking the money--well, not really..

  I would feel bad.  Ethically I think we are required to give the =
client something for their money. If I come to a piano that just needs a =
"touch-up" tuning I look forward to doing other work to improve the =
piano: a quick hammer reshaping or some light voicing can do wonders.

  I have come to pianos that have tuning records indicating regular =
tuning for many years and am surprised to find the piano barely out of =
tune but with voicing that was really horrible and excessive lost =
motion, hammers needing filing  etc.=20

  You are giving your client a poor value if you charge them for service =
that negligibly improves the performance of the piano, i.e. tuning a =
piano that is already very close.=20

  Put yourself in the client's shoes. When they pay for "tuning" what =
they want is for the piano to be more fun to play: They are paying for =
musical enjoyment.=20

  What do other technicians out there do when they have scheduled an =
hour and a half for a tuning appointment and find the piano barely off?=20

  Ryan Sowers, RPT Puget Sound Chapter
  Pianova Piano Service
  Olympia, WA