west system in blocks

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

I went ahead and treated the bass holes with CA glue. I had dosed a number
of pins in the upper section after finding that they were not tight enough to
suit me. The thin CA did help, giving an additional 20 or so in/lbs. However,
in the bass, I put a newspaper under the block and dosed the holes with the
CA before I strung. I was using a nozzle to get below the top of the block,
(I didn't want to really glue the plate to block!), and I used a liberal
amount.
After 20 minutes or so, (it is humid around here, these days), I could
no longer smell CA around the block, so I began. I used 4/0 pins and it was
dramatic how much tighter the pins were! Most of these pins are around 125
in/lbs. So, it seems that there is much better results from treating the hole
before the pin went in.
I take notes on my work, so I will be able to track the long term results
of various means of application on this piano. I would certainly have
preferred to put in a new block, but that simply wasn't in the budget.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

Ed, Did you find that the pins "squeeked" ? On a couple of occasions I have tried tightening a loose tuning pin by removing the pin and treating the hole. However, I used catalyst to harden the glue before driving the pin back into the block. It was tight enough but had a fairly loud squeek when turning the pin!

Perhaps I should not have used the catalyst.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA