CA glue

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:41:14 -0700

Maybe harder isn't the best way to express it.  Resistance to
compression is what I'm thinking of.  While in the case of a loose
bridge pin where the space is very small CA seems to work fine (though I
think epoxy is better assuming you have a way of delivering it) CA is
not really designed for "gap filling" in spite of the label on the
bottle.
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Carl Meyer
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 10:33 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: CA glue

David, I'm not sure I agree with you about epoxy being harder than ca. I
have used both ca and epoxy to fill rather small cracks in soundboards.
I don't recall, but I think the ca was the gap filling one.

I would put masking tape on each side of the crack and fill so that the
filler would be tape thickness higher than the wood.

I would then scrape to level the surface.  It was a pain to scrape the
ca because it was so hard that it dulled my scraper.

That said, I think both ca and epoxy are wonderful products and have
many uses.  There are also many opportunities to screw up with them.
DAMHIK.

It seems that ca and epoxy adhere to each other very well.  I know a
tech that will seal the top of a crack with a white (tinted) epoxy
paste, then turn the piano on its back and fill the bottom with ca.  I
don't know the thickness of the ca he uses.  I think I would prefer a
thin epoxy on the bottom.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.