String challenge

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:19:51 -0700

Lubing the bearing points, especially where there is rusty strings
bearing on felt, can be a help. But still there may be too much friction
to make for stable tuning by the usual methods.

I try loosening things up a little by moving the pin sharp and flat a
couple of times, in a slightly exaggerated fashion. It also gives me a
better feel for when the pin is settling in.

As a parting shot, I believe it's important to finish by pulling the
string up to pitch rather than settling it down to pitch as in a normal
tuning. This leaves the tuning pin segment with more tension - less
likely to go flat.

There's a bit more to it than can be put into words, but I hope this
gives you some ideas.

Tom Cole