String challenge

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:30:14 -0500

At 4:52 PM -0700 9/15/04, TLJ wrote:
>... This is probably a very simple issue but I am at a total loss.  Any
>suggestions will be appreciated.

Rendering strings is never a simple issue on pianos that have
exaggerated string deflection. By rendering I am speaking of
equalizing the tension in all segments of the strings.

I doubt the agraffes are necessarily your culprits in this matter
though, but rather the felt between the agraffes and the tuning pins.
Of course all the bearing points add to the overall difficulty.

I tune a couple of M&A BBs' with incredible deflection in that area,
and it creates definite uncertainty in establishing stability,
especially when a pitch change is required.

There are some pianos a person just has to work at tuning, and there
are some where the response of rendering and pin setting is a
marvelous experience.

Keith
--
Keith McGavern