dampp-chaser thoughts

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:41:41

Hi John,

The bottom covers are available as an add on "kit" from your regular
dampcchaser supplier. Yes, the bottom cover does touch the rods, however
that seems to make no difference. The commonest mistake is not using enough
dehumidifying power. Do get a 6 part system with smart bar. I've posted
directions for installing the bottom covers so have a look in the archives.
I now use four staples on the fabric side of the velcro tabs, and am
considering a battery powered sewing machine instead. Count on 2 to 3 hours
labor for your first install. Make sure to "offset" the light panel so that
a casual "bump" wont' break it.

What size of piano will you be doing the install in? In ultra small pianos
I somtimes use an alternate for the tail dehumidifier, and in larger pianos
I may add to the dehumidifier.

Plan to bring a blanket to lay on--it will prevent scratching the floor as
you wiggle around on your back. Do also bring a trouble light so you can
see well. The screws are all black so good lighting is a definite plus.

A magnetic "nut" driver is an essential tool for doing Damphchaser
installs. They used to sell a "kit" with the common tools and some spare
parts.