Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:51:56 -0400

At 11:46 PM +0100 9/11/04, Alan Forsyth wrote:
>One question comes to mind from the sketch of the transition bridge;
>is this not in effect a hockey stick arrangement in disguise and why
>manufacturers still use it, citing the same reasoning i.e. keeping
>as large a distance between end of bass bridge and end of tenor
>bridge?

Just a side comment here. What makes the hockey stick is not the
location of the end not on the long bridge, but the assumption that
while the length of that note may be at its maximum, the notes
directly can (because of the shape case and bass bridge) be stretched
longer, and because they can be, they should be.

If you know anything about scaling (and I don't know much), there's
no reason to do anything but strike a straight line from A3 (as on
Ron's Yank Chain) down to the bottom note on that bridge. Stray off
that line  and the scale problems walk right in and sit themselves
down.