Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:31:01 -0500

>Hi Ron!
>
>I'm not sure I  understand how you want to achieve this and why it's easier
>to adjust the impedance by using 3 bridges.

With the usual two bridges, the low end of the tenor is pretty close on the
soundboard to the low end of the bass. Since the low bass wants a
considerably more flexible board than the low tenor, one of these bridges
won't get what it wants from the soundboard assembly when they are in close
proximity. Adding a transition bridge separates the low tenor from the low
bass and gives you more room to tailor the soundboard impedance (with rib
placement, panel thickness, grain angle, bass float, mass lading, and/or
whatever) to more nearly meet the needs of the scale. With the transition,
you can now make soundboard impedance in the low tenor more nearly match
that of the high bass (which is what you ideally want) without killing the
low bass.

Here's a sketch showing both the original tenor bridge, and a transition.

>And, would you put 2-string unisons on both tenor and bass bridge, or just
>on the tenor bridge?
>
>  Calin Tantareanu

Wrapped bichords on both the high bass and the transition, plain wire
trichords on the long bridge.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: transbridge.jpg
Type: image/jpeg