Poor key morticing

Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:49:23 +0100

Mike Bratcher wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>
> You gotta' picture of that reamer?
>
> I was afraid I was going to need to rebush the balance rails.  This
> was really the main reason for the post.  I figured I would try the
> list first for an alterative.
>
> Thanks

I sure dont... but I can see if I can take one with my camera if nobody
else can provide one.  I think tho... you are going to find it requires
you to remove the bushings in order to use it. Its quite a bit larger
(diameter)  then balance rail pins and needs to go in from the top
(keybutton) side of the key.

You are better off trying to contrive a home made tool if you want to
avoid rebushing. You can do this job with a small circular file in a
drill.. (tape off the area that evenutually comes in contact with the
keybutton bushing felt), or you can bang the end of a balance rail pin
flat and sharpen the edges and use that.  You have to be carefull not to
over do it tho.

Cheers
RicB