Broken Upright Back Check Wires

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:52:57 -0500

Can’t you drive it out from the bottom?

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 9:37 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Broken Upright Back Check Wires

I've got a bit of problem/dilemma: Upright action with about a dozen
backcheck wires, broken below the surface of the wippen body! I drilled one
out with the hollow/reverse drill bit, that is used to extract screws. This
leaves a 1/4" hole, which can be filled with a dowel/glue. However, I don't
like the idea of re-drilling the pilot holes, for the new wires, into end
grain. I can drill a 7/32" hole across the wippen plug, so that it would be
in line with the new pilot hole and that would give a more stable cross
grain to drill/thread into.That is a lot of drilling and plugging!
Anyone have a better way to extract the olde wire stub, w/o all this
hassle?!!!???
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police