Mark your balance rail punchings!

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

List,

On the topic of balance rail punching stability, I have found that when leveling keys on pianos where the felt is already nice and settled it REALLY helps to mark each punching with a little line or dot (I use a fine point Sharpee pen) at the 6 O'clock position IMMEDIATELY after removing keys.

When pulling punchings in and out they inevitably rotate. The little mark keeps the felt punchings in their original orientation. Have you ever put in a tissue thin punching and had it make a bigger difference than you expected? It's due to the felt punching rotating.

Try it! You'll like it!

Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net> wrote:
Bob Hull said: "Ron's idea of compressing the punchings on a rod
sounds good.  I've been taking them (regular felt
balance rail punchings form pianotek) one by one and
hammering them on the concrete shop floor before
installing.  This obviously compresses and I don't
think that rethicken enough to be concerned."

Bob Hull,
Ron's idea is a good one. Another is to get  4" long x 1/2" diameter dowel; drill a hole in one end, of sufficient length; sand it nice and smooth. Put the desired punchings on the key frame. Make sure the frame is firm to the bench. One whack with a dead blow hammer per punching, does it for me. Since I've been doing it this way, I don't have to waste time "threading" the various punchings on a rod/taking them off the rod, etc. One of Murphy's laws is that you'll be out of the ones, on the rod,  that you need.<G> I must say I'm not too keen on the shop floor thingee!<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I