Balance rail felt

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:27:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Bob,

Yes, I think that once compressed and installed the
thinner punchings will stay compressed.  It was just
easier to gain some insight into the punching
stability by doing the experiment this way (mere
curiosity.)

Humidity change seems to be the major factor in
swelling them.  Ultimately, I think I will keep them
on a rod until installation time, as Ron suggested.

Vladan

You said you are going to let the felt sit without
compression for a few days and then measure again.
However, if you compress the punching by some method
and then put in on the b. rail pin with the action on
top won't it stay compressed by having a key and
action stack weight sitting on it?

Bob Hull