Half punchings on balance rail

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:38:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Bob,

Another method is to use some strips of veneer and
attach them to the balance rail.  You move the veneer
until you find the spot that yields the desired key
ratio.

Vladan

======================================

List,

I have searched the archives for comments on the
practice of cutting a felt balance rail punching in
half and glueing it to the bottom of the key (behind
the balance rail pin) in an effort to change lower
downweight and/or strike weight ratio.

My search didn't yeild any previous discussions.  I
have tried this method (experimentally on the bench)
which did lower the downweight too much, and lowered
the strike weight ratio from 5.78 to 5.31.  I'm
wanting a 5.5 ratio. The piano is a D on which I have
just replaced the hammers. They are a little on the
light side, I think, for a D. (#1 sw is 12.1, #40 is
9.7.)  It is in a small recital hall which doesn't
require huge tonal projection.

What do you think about this practice?  On another
note I tried just cutting off 1/4 of the front part
and it gave more desirable results.

Comments?  Thank you for all the great help you
usually give.

P.S.  As you can tell, I'm trying to get a grasp on
using the smartchart.

Bob Hull