An odd situation

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Ric,

You probably did check some of these things already,
but ...

Is the action stack well tightened to the frame?

I would pick a note and measure the action ratio.  It
sounds like it's up there around 7 or more.  I would
be surprised if there is much production variation on
Yamahas, but anyone can make a mistake.  Wrong
knuckle-to-shank flange center distance?

Best regards,

Vladan

Ran into a new one for me.  Fairly new Yamaha C6.. due
for its first main service... overdue really but
somebody has to pay for this stuff... Anways...
started off with checking key height... 64 mm ok...
made sure
of the bedding... ok... set blow to 47... 1 mm deeper
then spec but I find this usually leaves about the
right amount of aftertouch.... ok...  Did the
letoff... 3 mm bass, tenor started at 2.5 and tapered
to just
under 2 at the top... ...

Started noticing something wasnt really quite
right....lots and lots of after touch... .. Checked
key dip and it was SHALLOW for most of the bass, and
just a bit deep from about middle C upward...

So I double checked everything I'd done so far.... and
decided to go ahead with 10 mm key dip and see where
things took me.

Anyways... I got done with the whole routine and found
I still had too much letoff.... big bump.  So I
started to increase blow to 48 and found I couldnt get
any deeper.  The shank cushion stopped the hammers at
48 -
49 mm !

So... in the end.. I had 48+ mm blow, standard Yamaha
spec letoff and drop, 10 mm dip,  64 mm key height and
too much aftertouch with no real way of getting less.
Ok.. I could have fudged a bit on let off... but a
few tests didnt really get me where I wanted... I
would have had to go with about 2 mm in the bass... 1
mm in the treble, and a 9.5 key dip to get the
aftertouch down to where I usually like it... which is
by no
means too little.

Anyone got an idea as to what could be wrong here ??

Cheer
RicB